DHA is committed to developing sustainable communities and has developed the first two residential projects in Australia to achieve 6 Star Green Star design certification from the Green Building Council of Australia.
Additionally, nine DHA projects have earned 6 Leaf EnviroDevelopment accreditation from the Urban Development Institute of Australia.
All our homes are designed for the climate in which they are located. Our award-winning tropical demonstration house in the Northern Territory features:
- solar orientation and design to ventilate and cool the home
- covered outdoor areas to maximise living space
- landscaping to shade areas of the home exposed to strong easterly and westerly sunlight.
Where possible, our new homes are designed to make use of natural airflows and solar orientation to decrease the need for artificial heating and cooling.
We apply practices in our construction process such as:
- using materials that are suited to the local climate and weather, and have less impact on the environment
- working with local providers to source building materials, and landscaping supplies. This reduces the environmental impact of long-haul transport and helps build links with the local community
- ensuring outdoor areas within our developments are landscaped to complement native and local flora.