Complaint resolution process

Our complaints resolution process is designed to ensure that matters are dealt with in a fair and timely manner.

The process provides:
  • an opportunity to have your concerns investigated
  • a clear and direct process to resolve the dispute
  • a fair and independent review, and
  • a clear explanation of any decisions.

If you have a concern or complaint in relation to any aspect of our service you should:

  1. Contact your local Housing Management Centre (HMC). Our staff will try to resolve any issue or complaint you raise and will provide you with a timely response.
  2. If you are not satisfied, you may ask to have the matter escalated to the Customer Relations Manager (CRM) in your local HMC. The CRM will review your case and in consultation with the HMC Manager propose a resolution.
  3. If your complaint is unable to be resolved by the CRM or HMC Manager, you may request a formal meeting with the HMC Manager and other relevant stakeholders.
  4. If a suitable resolution is not reached during a formal meeting at the HMC, you can request your case be reviewed by the National Business Line Manager.
  5. If the options at points 1 to 4 above have been exhausted without a suitable resolution having been achieved, you can further escalate your complaint by contacting DHA’s National Customer Relations team by email or call 139 342.
  6. If you have been unable to resolve your complaint with DHA you may wish to contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman by email or by phoning 1300 362 072.
  7. If you are a Defence member and not satisfied with the outcome, you may choose to obtain an advocate through your Service chain of command. You may request your dispute be referred to the Joint Housing and Accommodation Review Committee (JHARC)* for issues relating to the provision of Service Residences, as outlined in ADF Pay and Conditions Manual (PACMAN) Volume 2 Chapter 7 Annex 7.I.

*Where it is not appropriate for an issue to be escalated to the JHARC, or where an issue is not resolved by the JHARC, Defence members may submit an application in accordance with Defence Instruction (General) Personnel 34-1, Redress of Grievance - Tri Service Procedures.

Please note that when required, our staff will consult the Defence Relocation and Housing Manager (DRHM) whose role is to ensure that the service provided by both Toll Transitions and DHA meets the standards specified in their individual contractual agreements with Defence. At any stage of the process you may consult directly with your local DRHM to seek guidance.

Need assistance?

View a list of the Defence Relocations and Housing Managers (DRHM) for your area.

View DRHM list

Contacts and references